The Pennsylvania Electric Company Sustainable Energy Fund
Started in 2000, the Penelec Sustainable Energy Fund distributes loans and grants, and makes investments to eligible organizations that are located in or serve FirstEnergy’s Penelec service territory. It also participates with other sustainable energy funds in projects throughout Pennsylvania.
In 2011, the Fund was particularly active.
- We helped to support a solar thermal energy company in Lawrence County.
- We financed a waste heat recovery project in Bradford County.
- We invested in an energy efficiency company that seeks to help nonprofits and is now working on energy efficiency projects with both the Johnstown Area Heritage Association and St. Benedict's Parish in Geistown, and an energy efficiency project at the Shawnee Market in Schellsburg in Bedford County.
- We made a grant to the Disaster’s Edge Environmental Center at the St. Michael’s Flood Site for a geothermal project that will save Cambria County taxpayers up to 30% of its electric bill for the center.
- We supported a comprehensive energy efficiency plan that engages all 21 buildings and all 13,000 students in the Erie School District.
- We added support to Johnstown’s Stone Bridge project with a grant to help upgrade the light being installed to high efficiency, low maintenance LED lighting.